|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Battle of Blackstock's Historic Site, Union County (off S.C. Hwy. 49, Cross Anchor vicinity)
| View of Patriot
| View of British
| Daughters of
| Tyger River
below Battle Site
(Blackstock’s Plantation) At Blackstock’s tobacco barn on the Tyger River, British troops under Colonel Banastre Tarleton battled with American militiamen under General Thomas Sumter on November 20, 1780. The Americans drove off the attacking British infantry and cavalry. Although the Americans dispersed and were unable to attack the British post at Ninety-Six as originally planned, they did serious damage to the morale of Tarleton’s Legion, as well as inflicting heavy casualties, demonstrating that the British did not have as firm a hold in South Carolina as believed. The Blackstock’s battlefield is located south of the Tyger River, immediately east of the Spartanburg County line, in a hilly, wooded region. In the eighteenth century much of the land of the battlefield was cleared, but has since overgrown with small pines and brush. No above-the-surface evidence remains of Blackstock’s barn or house, which were located in the area of the historical marker that designates the battle site, and there are no modern buildings in the area of the battlefield. Listed in the National Register December 16, 1974.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.