|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Padgett's Creek Baptist Church, Union County (S.C. Hwy. 18, Cross Keys vicinity)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Rear Oblique||Portico Detail|| Interior
Built in 1844, Padgett’s Creek Baptist Church is important for detailed manual craftsmanship in its primary construction and for appropriate additions and alterations that have maintained the building’s architectural integrity. Organized in 1784 as the Church of Christ on Tyger River, the church adopted its present name in 1803. It became a member of the Baptist State Convention in 1841. In 1844 construction of a new meeting house began about one mile above the original and was finally completed by April 1848. It appeared as a plain, rectangular two-story building over slightly raised brick supports with an unornamented interior and a gallery “for use by colored members.” The front portion including portico dates from 1958 when it was added to the south side of the original meeting house style church. There is also a one-story rear addition. Padgett’s Creek was an upcountry meeting place for discussion of civil matters during the Civil War. On August 29, 1851, a secession meeting, possibly the first, was held at Padgett’s Creek. Speakers were Senator and later Governor William H. Gist and Congressman Daniel Wallace who advocated “secession rather than submission.” The congregation included African American members as late as 1872 and several of their graves may be seen in the cemetery. Listed in the National Register May 6, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.