|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Pinckneyville, Union County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 13, Pinckneyville)
| Old Store
| Old Store
| Old Store
When Pinckney District was created in 1791, it comprised the counties of Union, Spartanburg, York, and Chester. Three commissioners appointed by the Legislature selected a place in the northern part of Union county for the new court house town to be established. Pinckneyville is one of the earliest settlements in the South Carolina backcountry. It reflects the spread of justice throughout the state in the early years and the beginnings of representative government beyond the border of Charleston. For the first ninety years of provincial Carolina, Charleston was the source of all judicial proceedings. For the accommodation of the remote settlers, an act was passed in 1796 by which district courts were established at Beaufort, Georgetown, Cheraw, Camden, Orangeburg and Ninety Six. In 1789, the circuit courts were invested with complete and final jurisdiction. In two more years, Pinckney and Washington districts were added. Although the town never flourished as its planners had dreamed, it does reflect a significant era of South Carolina history. The National Register property consists of 1.75 acres of the original site of Pinckneyville and contains the ruins of the brick jail and one other brick building, usually referred to as the old store. Structurally in good shape, with interior wainscoting, fireplace, mantel and moldings intact, this building may possibly have been designed as a government building. Listed in the National Register December 2, 1969.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.