|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Elizabeth White House, Sumter County (421 North Main St., Sumter)
|Facade, 1977||Left Oblique, 1977||Left Elevation, 1977||Kitchen/Studio, 1977||Facade, 1988|
|Left Oblique, 1988||Left Elevation, 1988|| Left Rear Elevation,
|Rear Elevation, 1988||Right Elevation, 1988|
The Elizabeth White House, built ca. 1854, is significant architecturally as an example of vernacular Greek Revival design and for its association with Elizabeth White (1883-1976), a nationally recognized artist. Most likely, the house was built by John E. Brown, a merchant, ca. 1854. In 1886, the property was acquired by the Anthony White family whose members were prominent in the political, social and commercial development of Sumter. The property remained in the White family until the death of Elizabeth White in 1976. White’s work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian Institution (1939), the New York’s World’s Fair (1939), and the International Biennial Exhibition of Art in Venice, Italy. One of her etchings hangs permanently in the Library of Congress. Under the provisions of White’s will, the property has been transferred to the Sumter Gallery of Art for use as an art gallery. Listed in the National Register March 21, 1978.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.