|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Sumter Town Hall-Opera House, Sumter County (21 North Main St., Sumter)
|Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Facade, Detail||Facade, Detail|| Left Rear
| Right Rear
|Rear Elevation||Clock Detail||Facade, 2000|
(Sumter Academy of Music) The Sumter Town Hall-Opera House has served as a center of both entertainment and political service for the citizens of the Sumter area. An example of Richardson Romanesque architecture constructed in 1893, the Sumter Town Hall-Opera House is one of the most outstanding structures of downtown Sumter. The clock tower serves as a focal point for the entire area. The Town Hall was the first permanent home of city government in Sumter. In 1912, Sumter became one of the first municipalities in the United States to adopt the council-manager form of government. Sumter’s first theater was located on the second floor. This structure housed many of the traveling road shows that toured the country in the late nineteenth century. Listed in the National Register May 24, 1973.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.