|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Sumter Historic District, Sumter County (Sumter)
| Sumter County
127 N. Main St.
|132 N. Main St.|| 122 N. Main St.
Lee and Moise
|16 Law Range||103-107 N. Main St.|
|101 N. Main St.||30 and 34 N. Main St.|| 35 N. Main St.
| 33 N. Main St.
Boots and Shoes
| 21 N. Main St.
Sumter Town Hall/
| 2 N. Main St.
Bank of Sumter
|9 East Liberty St.||17 S. Main St.|| 22 S. Main St.
White and Kennedy
|37 S. Main St.|
|47 S. Main St.||51 S. Main St.||102 S. Main St.||53 S. Main St.||122 S. Main St.|
Originally called Sumterville, the town was the county seat of Sumter District and later Sumter County. A settlement by 1785, Sumterville was named after General Thomas Sumter, South Carolina Revolutionary war hero. In 1798, the village was selected for the site of the courthouse of old Sumter District. With no access to waterway or railroad, development was slow until the Camden branch of the South Carolina Railroad extended into the town in 1843. Incorporated in 1845, Sumterville’s name was eventually changed to Sumter. The town was officially chartered in 1871. Sumter’s political, commercial, and cultural development is reflected in the architecture of the central business district that spans a time period from 1828 to the present. Many of the buildings in the original commercial district date from 1880 to 1912 and are typical of turn-of-the-century commercial buildings, using materials such as pressed tin, limestone, and brick. Detail work of buildings includes arches, columns, decorative brickwork and dentil work. Listed in the National Register April 21, 1975.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Sumter Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.