|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Henry Lee Scarborough House, Sumter County (425 N. Main St., Sumter)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique|| Right Rear
| Main Entrance
| Corinthian Column
Built in 1908-08, the Henry Lee Scarborough House is on of the few remaining examples of early twentieth-century Neo-Classical Revival architecture in Sumter. The house stood in a residential neighborhood just a few blocks north of the heart of downtown Sumter. This neighborhood featured large houses on spacious lots until the 1950s, when most of the historic houses fell to the wrecking ball in the name of progress. Henry Lee Scarborough was one of the leading agriculturists in Sumter County. He was also very active as a public servant and in civic affairs. A full-fašade porch supported by massive columns crowned with Corinthian capitals dominates the house. The interior of the house reflects the rich woodwork typical of the style. Listed in the National Register January 20, 1995.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.