South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Orange Grove (Gaillard-Colclough House), Sumter County
(SC Hwy 441 and State Road 43, Dalzell vicinity)
OrangeGrove01 OrangeGrove02 OrangeGrove03 OrangeGrove04 OrangeGrove05
Facade Left Oblique Left Elevation Right Rear
Rear Elevation
OrangeGrove06 OrangeGrove07 OrangeGrove08 OrangeGrove09  
Outbuilding Basement
1st Story
2nd Story

(Gaillard-Colclough House) Orange Grove, originally built in 1851, is significant as an excellent example of the historic adaptation of residential design resulting from a natural disaster that occurred in 1924. In April of that year, a tornado tore off Orange Grove’s roof, gabled half story, and most of the second story. In response to the storm’s disastrous results, the house’s owners salvaged all that remained and reconfigured the roof over a half story in a style consistent with early twentieth building practices. Whereas prior to 1924 the house was of a vernacular style common to the eastern and lower parts of South Carolina, Orange Grove after the tornado took on the form and appearance of a raised cottage with a Prairie or Craftsman type roof. The principal block is a one-and-one-half-story, braced frame and weatherboard house set upon a one-story brick raised basement enclosure which has been stuccoed and scored. The site of Orange Grove also includes an elongated, one-story frame servant’s house to the north of the main house. The property is also significant for its association with the Gaillard family, prominent among those deriving from early French Huguenot settlers of lowcountry South Carolina, and the Colclough family, relatives of the Gaillards and the property’s owners from 1902-1953. Listed in the National Register August 19, 1993.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.