South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Milford Plantation, Sumter County (S.C. Hwy. 261, Pinewood vicinity)
MilfordPlantation01 MilfordPlantation02 MilfordPlantation03 MilfordPlantation04 MilfordPlantation05
Facade Facade Detail Right Elevation Right Elevation
with Kitchen
Rear Elevation
MilfordPlantation06 MilfordPlantation07 MilfordPlantation08 MilfordPlantation09 MilfordPlantation10
Column Capitals Interior
Central Hall
Interior
Living Room
Interior
Dining Room Door
Interior
Newel Post
First Floor Stairs
MilfordPlantation11 MilfordPlantation12 MilfordPlantation13 MilfordPlantation14 MilfordPlantation15
Interior
Second Floor
Stairs and Hall
Interior
Ceiling Medalion
Interior
Light Fixture
Interior
Silver Plated
Door Hardware
Interior
Air Register

(Gov. John L. Manning House; Millford) Symbolic of the rural community life that flourished before the Civil War, Milford, ca. 1839, is considered one of the most outstanding Greek Revival plantation homes in the South. Having escaped being burned by General W. T. Sherman’s troops, it remains a museum piece of the traditional antebellum south. The Mannings, the original family owners, contributed many governors to the State of South Carolina and were leaders in the politics and society of the area. When first built, it earned the title of “Manning’s Folly” since its location was so remote and the details so elaborate. The fašade has six magnificent carved columns on granite bases that support a classical portico with a parapet adorned with a Greek motif. The walls of Milford, two feet thick, are of handmade brick fired on the place, but the granite came by boat from Rhode Island, and much of the marble as well as the carving and ornamentation came from abroad. One of the most striking features of the interior is the rear rotunda that features an art-glass eye, framed by elaborate carving, on the ceiling and an imposing, unsupported, flying, circular stair. Milford’s builder was Nathaniel F. Potter of Rhode Island. While Potter may have designed the building as well, the architect is unknown. The property also includes contributing guesthouses/dependencies, a ca. 1850 stable and water tower (bell tower), and a spring house. Listed in the National Register November 19, 1971; Designated a National Historic Landmark November 11, 1973.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.