|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Heriot-Moise House, Sumter County (Brewington Rd. & U.S. Hwy. 401, Sumter vicinity)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation||Left Elevation|| Right Rear
| Detail of
| Detail of sawn
bracket on Main Facade
|Interior-Central Hall||Interior-Wainscotting||Interior-Rear Bedroom|
|Log Outbuilding||Slave House||Floor Plan|
(Ingleside) The Heriot-Moise House is significant for its illustration of evolving architectural forms and influences from ca. 1790 into the twentieth century, as altered from an essentially vernacular hall-and-parlor house to a residence with Early Classical revival and Greek revival influences. Extant features from the original house and the ca. 1800, ca. 1830, ca. 1850, and later alterations show how succeeding owners adapted the house to their changing needs and circumstances. It is also significant as a basically intact nineteenth and early twentieth century farm complex. The main house’s fašade features a central, free-standing portico resting on four square, paneled columns, the center two of which have decorative sawn brackets at the capitals. The recessed porch deck, supported by four brick piers with lattice infill, features a turned balustrade and central stairs. A log outbuilding, built ca. 1790, near the main house contributes to the property’s historic character. It is a one-story single-pen log building, featuring squared logs with dovetail joints. A small weatherboard duplex house, built ca. 1800-1850, believed to have been originally a slave dwelling, also contributes to the historic character of the property. It has been moved from an undetermined original site and placed on brick piers at its present site. Listed in the National Register December 21, 1989.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.