|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
J. Clinton Brogdon House, Sumter County (3755 Boots Branch Rd., Sumter Vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation|
Built in 1911, the J. Clinton Brogdon House is significant as a representative example of the Neo-Classical style, popular from ca. 1900 to ca. 1920. Buildings of this style emphasized hipped roofs, and elaborate, correct columns. The full fašade front porch is supported by six unfluted columns with Ionic capitals. It is one of the few Neo-Classical examples in Sumter County and may be a rare example of a mail order house in the area. According to the family, the materials for the house all came from Hickory, NC, delivered by rail. The price of $5,500 paid for the materials is comparable to the cost of the top-notch Sears & Roebuck house, “The Magnolia,” a Neo-Classical house which was advertised in 1918 for $5,140 to $5,972. The area around the house is known locally as “Brogdon” or “Brogdon Station.” The J. Clinton Brogdon House is one of the last vestiges of this rural neighborhood. It is a well-preserved example not only of the Neo-Classical style as manifested in South Carolina, but a reminder of the importance of rural neighborhoods such as Brogdon Station, where transportation paths crossed and commercial goods could be exchanged. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1993.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.