South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Borough House Plantation, Sumter County (SC Hwy 261, Stateburg vicinity)
BoroughHouse01 BoroughHouse02 BoroughHouse03 BoroughHouse04 BoroughHouse05
Facade Rear Elevation Interior Library Doctors Office

(Anderson House) Built ca. 1758, the Borough House, Stateburg’s oldest extant building, is significant architecturally because it and its dependencies form the largest complex in the United States of pise de terre (rammed earth) buildings. This material, a Spanish and French type of construction, is essentially hand-poured clay. The Classical Revival home’s beams are of heart pine, some 50 feet long, adze-hewn and pegged. The laths on the inside of the pise de terre walls are hand-hewn and secured with three-inch hand-forged square-topped nails. The base coat of plaster is over laths mixed with binding of rabbit fur. In 1821 the present pise de terre wings were added, in addition to the colonnaded one-story back porch with two bedrooms above and the second-story porch on the front. Pise de terre outbuildings include a two-roomed library with hipped roof and Tuscan colonnade on all four sides, a dry well, a doctor’s office with a temple front with four columns, a loom house, a summer kitchen/dairy, and a slave cabin/cook’s quarters. According to tradition, the Borough House served as headquarters for General Cornwallis in 1780 while he established a series of forts in the Wateree Valley. General Nathanael Greene and some Continental Army soldiers occupied the house in 1781. Dr. William W. Anderson, who redesigned the house in 1821, performed the first successful operation for removal of cancer of the jawbone here in 1829. On its grounds the state’s first tree farm was established in the early 1900s. Listed in the National Register March 23, 1972; Designated a National Historic Landmark June 7, 1988.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.