|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Fredonia, Spartanburg County (Moore vicinity)
|No Photo Available|
Fredonia is a large vernacular house that typifies a family structure as it was modified by succeeding generations to suit changing needs and prevailing architectural fashions. Fredonia has evolved from a single room log cabin built ca. 1786. A two-storied Georgian single house was constructed ca. 1800 around the log structure. A Greek Revival portico was added to the front fašade ca. 1840. The present Victorian appearance occurred when the house was more than doubled in size in 1900. Fredonia’s earlier occupants played significant roles in the military and political history of South Carolina. Thomas Moore, the builder of the earliest portion of the house, served as a private in the Revolution and participated in the Battle of Cowpens. He served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1801 until 1813 and from 1815 to 1817. Thomas Jefferson Moore was a member of the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1872 to 1874 and served in the state Senate from 1880 to 1884. Listed in the National Register October 9, 1974. Fredonia has since burned. Removed from the National Register March 1981.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.