South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Frank Evans High School, Spartanburg County (142 S. Dean St., Spartanburg)
S1081774206601 S1081774206602 S1081774206603 S1081774206604 S1081774206605
Facade Main Entrance Left Oblique Left Front
Elevation
Left Rear
Elevation
S1081774206606 S1081774206607 S1081774206608 S1081774206609 S1081774206610
Left Rear
Oblique
Left Elevation
Front Entrance
Detail
Left Elevation
Rear Entrance
Detail
Rear Elevation Right Rear
Oblique
S1081774206611 S1081774206612 S1081774206613 S1081774206614 S1081774206615
Right Elevation Right Front
Elevation Detail
Main Entrance
Clock Detail
Main Entrance
Rosette Detail
Facade
Diapering Brickwork
S1081774206616 S1081774206617 S1081774206618 S1081774206619 S1081774206620
Interior
Auditorium
Stage
Interior
Auditorium
Seating and Balcony
Interior
Auditorium
Light Fixture
Interior
Gymnasium
Interior
Stairwell

The Frank Evans High School, completed in 1922, with additions completed in 1925 and 1928, is architecturally significant as an excellent example of the Collegiate Gothic Style often characteristic of educational institutions in the early twentieth century. The building is the combined work of two prominent architects and one significant architecture-engineering firm: G. Lloyd Preacher (a South Carolina native working in Georgia); the Boston and Spartanburg firm of Lockwood, Greene and Company; and Spartanburg architect J. Frank Collins. The original building and master plan for the site was designed by G. Lloyd Preacher and Company. The three-story building housed a corridor of classrooms on each floor, an auditorium, and a gymnasium. The 1925 classroom addition to the high school was designed by Lockwood, Greene and Company to connect to the south wing of the existing building. The addition added twenty six rooms. The intention of maintaining the same character as the original portion of the building, and the details and ornamentation on the fašade addition make it virtually indistinguishable from the main building. The second addition, the new gymnasium and auditorium renovation, was designed in 1927 by J. Frank Collins. The school exemplifies the development of education in the city of Spartanburg. The new school was not only a symbol of the superior education in Spartanburg but also a symbol of the work of Frank Evans, long time superintendent and educator. Evans was recognized throughout the South as a leader in public education. Dr. Evans changed the name of the school to Spartanburg High School in 1933. The school was renamed Evans Junior High School in 1959 when the new Spartanburg High School was built. Listed in the National Register June 27, 2012.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.