|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Converse Heights Historic District, Spartanburg County (Spartanburg)
|368 Connecticut Ave.||511 Glendayln Ave.||512 Glendayln Ave.||600 Glendayln Ave.||668 Glendayln Ave.|
| E. B. Dean
734 Glendayln Ave.
|606 Palmetto St||724 Palmetto St||772 Palmetto St||778 Palmetto St|
|405 Hale St.||406 Hale St.||647 Norwood St.||663 Norwood St.||611 Rutledge St.|
|620 Rutledge St.||626 Rutledge St.||674 Rutledge St.||707 Rutledge St.||712 Rutledge St.|
|Page 2 of 3|
The Converse Heights Historic District is significant as an intact collection of residential architecture documenting architectural styles from ca. 1900 through the 1940s. The district documents the prevalent housing types for middle and upper class citizens in the early to mid-twentieth century and demonstrates the pattern of suburban development as automobile use became prevalent and as social views of housing shifted. The location of the neighborhood—close to the fast-growing business district—and the construction of a streetcar line that ran to the neighborhood entrance made the district and ideal location for local businessmen and professionals working in downtown Spartanburg. Within Converse Heights, restrictions were placed on new homebuilders mandating that homeowners spend at least $1500 on the construction of their homes which also attracted a certain level of Spartanburg’s business elite. The overall development of the Converse Heights neighborhood truly reflects the economic and social changes that Spartanburg was experiencing in the early to mid-twentieth century. The neighborhood is what many would call a “streetcar suburb”, a precursor to the modern-day suburban neighborhood. The Converse Heights neighborhood showcases each of the key architectural styles used throughout the twentieth century. The district, which was developed continuously from 1906 through the 1950s, includes single and multi-family residential buildings in the Queen Anne, American Foursquare, Craftsman, Spanish Mission, Tudor, Colonial Revival, Neo-Classical and Minimal Traditional styles. The district includes 461 contributing buildings and 65 non-contributing buildings. Listed in the National Register September 25, 2007.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.