|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Marysville School, Spartanburg County (Sunny Acres Rd., Pacolet vicinity)
|Facade||Right Facade||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation|| Rear Elevation
|Left Oblique||Main Entrance|| Main Entrance
The Marysville School is significant for its association with the history of segregated society in upstate South Carolina. The school was built by the Pacolet Manufacturing Company in 1915 to educate the children of the black families that worked in the mills in Pacolet, and served in that function until it was closed in 1954. The Marysville community was built by the Pacolet Manufacturing Co. in order to keep the colored workers and their families separate from the white workers. Originally called Gilliam Town, the name of this village was changed to Marysville, after Mary Brown Knuckles, the lady that would bring Marysville School to the residents of that community. The school is a one and a half story, three room school building in a “L” shape, but this is due to the addition of a third room some time between 1935 and 1950 to accommodate the growing population of students. There are a total of three entrances to the building on the front fašade, one on the original portion and two on the addition. There are also three other entrances located on the lower level of the rear portion of the school. The main level of the interior contains three classrooms separated by a small hallway. The two original classrooms are separated by folding doors, which are still in place. All of these rooms still contain their original slate boards, as well as their original floors and walls. Marysville School would become obsolete by 1954 due to the decision of the Supreme Court in the landmark Brown vs. Board of Education, which decided that segregating schools was illegal under the constitution. Listed in the National Register January 9, 2007.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.