|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
First Presbyterian Church of Woodruff, Spartanburg County (300 W. Georgia St., Woodruff)
|Facade||Right Elevation|| Right Rear
|Rear Elevation||Left Rear Oblique|
|Left Oblique||Main Entrance|| Interior
The First Presbyterian Church of Woodruff (since 1953 the Woodruff Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church) is significant as a fine example of small town church architecture designed by prominent Spartanburg County architect Luther D. Proffitt. Throughout his career, Proffitt designed numerous kinds of buildings, but he was most prolific in his church designs. The structure was completed in 1911 and formally dedicated in 1912. Its combination of architectural styles, both interior and exterior, creates an exceptional structure. It is an eclectic structure, incorporating both Second Gothic Revival and Romanesque Revival elements. The building’s rectangular plan, hipped roof with cross-gables on the south and east sides, and a two-story tower at the southeast corner all replicate a plan utilized in Romanesque churches. The building is constructed of brick veneer over a wood frame. The main stained glass windows reflect the Romanesque Revival style with their traditional arched design, while the pointed arch windows on the tower suggest a late Gothic Revival style. The entire roof is covered with standing seam metal and has a simple, boxed cornice on all sides. Listed in the National Register January 26, 2005.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.