South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Central Methodist Church, Spartanburg County (233 N. Church St., Spartanburg)
S1081774205001 S1081774205002 S1081774205003 S1081774205004 S1081774205005
Facade Left Oblique Right Oblique Right Elevation Right Elevation
Tower and Aspe
S1081774205006 S1081774205007 S1081774205008 S1081774205009 S1081774205010
Tower Entrance
Tower Detail Memorial Garden Aerial View Interior
S1081774205011 S1081774205012 S1081774205013 S1081774205014 S1081774205015
Pew Detail
Right Oblique
Right Oblique
ca. 1897
ca. 1897
Right Oblique
ca. 1937

This Gothic Revival sanctuary, constructed in 1885-86 with substantive alterations in 1896-97, 1909-10, and 1930, is an excellent example of late nineteenth and early twentieth century interpretations of the Gothic Revival style and is associated with some of the most prominent architects of South Carolina and the Southeast during the period. Central Methodist, the first church established in Spartanburg, was founded in 1838 and known as Spartanburg Methodist Church until 1889. The first sanctuary, a frame building, was built soon afterwards and served the congregation until 1854, when it was demolished and replaced by a more substantial church. The second church was demolished in 1885 and replaced in 1886 by the present Gothic Revival church, described as “an ornament to our town” shortly before its dedication. The outside walls are a light yellow stucco, with beveled cast stone window sills, belt courses and matching drip moulds over pointed arched window and door openings. A 100-foot bell tower on the southwest corner was adorned with a steeple, gables on each side, and pinnacles at all four corners. The 1896-97 renovations are attributed to and were carried out according to plans by the noted order-by-mail house architect, George F. Barber of Knoxville and under the supervision of an architect named Hill of Charlotte included two large additions, a small secondary steeple, and a large addition to the main steeple. By 1909-10, the congregation had increased to more than 800 members, and reviewed plans by the Atlanta architectural firm of Norrman, Hentz, and Reid for another expansion intended to increase the size of the sanctuary by some sixty percent. Within twenty years, the church needed still more room, and the church hired Charles W. Fant of Anderson as the architect for a Sunday School addition and a remodeling of the auditorium. Listed in the National Register October 3, 2003.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.