|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hotel Oregon, Spartanburg County (247 & 249 Magnolia St., Spartanburg)
|Right Oblique||Right Elevation|| Left Rear
|Facade Detail|| Interior
2nd Floor Staircase
(Oakman Drugs, Oakman Glass, Spartan Hotel) The Hotel Oregon is significant for the role it played in the commercial development of Spartanburg at the beginning of the twentieth century and as an outstanding local example of the vernacular Commercial style. The Commercial style was a reaction to the elaborate store facades of the High Victorian period. The style reduced the fašade to simple vertical elements accentuated with horizontal panels and belt courses, termination at the skyline with a layered stepped and corbelled cornice. The building has notable exterior features including horizontal granite belt courses, decorative brick panels, corbeled and denticulated brick cornices and a stepped front parapet. Notable interior features include pressed tin ceilings and original wooden staircases. The hotel is locally significant for its role in the history of medical care in the city of Spartanburg and for its association with a prominent local pharmacist Dr. Clarence Oakman. Built in 1909 by Oakman, this three-story building was one of many commercial hotels and boarding houses that originally lined Magnolia Street. The hotel retains its historic appearance but has undergone some changes on its first floor. The most significant change is the loss of the two first floor storefronts. The Hotel Oregon is the last remaining commercial hotel built between 1880 and 1930 in the city of Spartanburg. Listed in the National Register April 10, 2001.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.