|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Cowpens Depot, Spartanburg County (120 Palmetto St., Cowpens)
|Facade|| Right Rear
|Rear Elevation||Left Elevation||Eave Detail|
|Freight Door|| Interior
The Cowpens Depot, built in 1896 by the Southern Railway, is significant both as an excellent example of a late nineteenth century Southern passenger and freight depot and for its association with the significance of the Southern Railway in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century growth and development of the town of Cowpens. The Atlanta and Charlotte Air Line Railway built the first depot here along its line in 1873, and by 1880 the town was incorporated. In May 1896, the Southern Railway contracted with Joseph D. Elliott to build a new depot alongside its tracks at the corner of Brown and Church streets. Passenger rail service to Cowpens ceased in the 1950s and freight service ceased in 1967 when the depot closed its doors to all rail service. Southern Railway decided to demolish the depot in 1980, but the Cowpens Bicentennial Committee negotiated to preserve the building. The railroad agreed to donate the depot to the town on the condition that it be moved from railway property. In 1982 the Town of Cowpens moved the depot one block from its original site to its present location. Listed in the National Register September 4, 1997.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.