|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Golightly-Dean House, Spartanburg County (S.C. Hwy. 56, Pauline vicinity)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation|| Right Elevation
| Right Rear
|Left Elevation||Main Entrance|| Interior
The Golightly-Dean House is located in the Golightly community, eight miles south of Spartanburg. It is significant as an unusual example of successive periods of masonry vernacular building in the piedmont region of South Carolina and as an example of the evolution of building styles in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. It is also important as the residence of the Golightly and Dean families, early settlers of Spartanburg County. Physical and documentary evidence suggests that the one-story, double-pen, masonry wing dates from prior to 1784. Examples of eighteenth century double-pen masonry houses are very rare in South Carolina. The ca. 1830 two-story portion of the house is an unusual example of brick construction in the South Carolina Piedmont. The plan of this portion of the building is also unusual. Further alterations, made after an 1884 tornado, reflect the continuing evolution of architectural styles depicted by the house. These stylistic and compositional idiosyncrasies combine to create a juxtaposed composition of masses, voids, and decorative elements which give the house its unique character. Behind the house are two outbuildings, a log building which appears to have been used as a smokehouse and a log shed. Listed in the National Register September 29, 1988.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.