|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Spartanburg Historic District, Spartanburg County
| August W. Smith
116-118 E. Main St.
| Kress Building
115 E. Main St.
100-114 E. Main St.
100-114 E. Main St.
111 E. Main St.
|101 E. Main St.||109-111 W. Main St.||113-115 W. Main St.||117-121 W. Main St.||125-127 W. Main St.|
|131 W. Main St.||135 W. Main St.||137 W. Main St.||139 W. Main St.||141-143 W. Main St.|
|145 W. Main St.||111 Wall St.||110-114 Wall St.||155 W. Main St.||S. Spring St.|
|Page 1 of 2|
The Spartanburg Historic District contains a concentration of late-nineteenth and early-twentieth commercial architecture in and around Morgan Square in the commercial district of Spartanburg. The town started in the late eighteenth century, named for the Revolutionary War militia regiment called the “Spartans.” The town grew slowly until the late nineteenth century. With around thirty-four contributing properties, the Morgan Square area is historically the center of the city and its architectural character reflects a period of prosperity occurring between 1880 and 1920 when Spartanburg became a leading textile and railroad center in South Carolina. During this period, downtown was substantially rebuilt with new brick commercial structures. Most of the buildings constructed during this period were two- to three-story masonry structures with decorative detailing. Approximately ninety percent of the buildings in the district were built before 1925. Stylistic influences include Neo-Classical, Art Deco, and most commonly Italianate or Commercial style influences. While some alterations have been made to storefronts, a majority of contributing properties in the district retain their architectural integrity. Listed in the National Register May 19, 1983; Boundary increase January 28, 2000.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Spartanburg Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
View the complete text of the nomination form for the boundary increase of this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.