|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Walker Hall, Spartanburg County (S.C. School for the Deaf and Blind, S.C. Hwy. 56, Cedar Spring vicinity)
|Facade||Portico Detail||Left Oblique||Left Elevation|| Right Rear
|Rear Annex|| Interior
Walker Hall, built ca. 1857-59, is an example of Greek Revival and Italian Villa architecture situated on the 147-acre campus of the South Carolina School for the Deaf and Blind. It stands as a monument to the Walker family, who for 127 years have been involved in the education deaf and blind children in South Carolina. The school was founded in 1849 as a private endeavor by Reverend Newton Pinckney Walker, a young Baptist minister who had become interested in the work for the deaf because his wife had three deaf relatives. In 1885 a Department for the blind was added, the same year in which Walker petitioned the legislature to take over the school as a state supported institution, which it did in 1856. In 1857, the well-known Charleston architect Edward C. Jones was commissioned to design a new building. A contract was drawn with Owen, Allen & Brothers to build the center edifice and the east wing, which were completed in 1859. The original building was constructed of brick and the dome originally was surmounted by a Mansard roof, replaced by a flat roof in the late 1880s. In 1884, a contract was made with the Philadelphia architect Samuel Sloan to design the west wing that was completed in 1885. Its design is identical to the east wing, giving the structure a symmetrical appearance. The front fašade features a pedimented portico supported by Corinthian columns on an arcaded base. A rear annex, also in conformity to the original structure, was constructed in 1921 by Pittman Construction Company of Atlanta. Listed in the National Register December 6, 1977.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.