|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Bon Haven, Spartanburg County (728 N. Church St., Spartanburg)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation||Right Elevation|
|Right Oblique||Main Entrance||Outbuilding|
(Cleveland House) Built ca. 1884, Bon Haven is a Second Empire style structure with 1920s Neo-Classical additions. Its builder, John B. Cleveland, played a vital role in the growth of Spartanburg, promoting almost every facet of the town’s development to such a degree that upon his death in 1928 he was heralded as the town’s “first citizen.” Cleveland was a founder and trustee of Converse College, a trustee of Wofford College, and played a role in the establishment of Spartanburg’s city school system. He organized and served as president of Whitney Mills and was instrumental in establishing the town’s first bank, First National Bank of Spartanburg. From 1904 until his death in 1928, Cleveland served as vice president of the South Carolina Historical Society. Between 1878 and 1880, he served in the South Carolina House of Representatives. Bon Haven is architecturally significant due to its solid construction and interesting design. Two stories high and set upon a raised granite basement, the house exemplifies the eclecticism of two ages. The Mansard roof, central tower, and arched window reflect the Second Empire style of architecture; the massive Ionic columns and portico reflect the Neo-Classical revival of the 1920s. To the rear of the structure are brick servant’s quarters, a brick “tea” house, and the remains of a formal garden. Listed in the National Register June 29, 1976.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.