|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Wofford College Historic District, Spartanburg County (Spartanburg)
| "Old Main"
| "Old Main"
|Snyder House|| Administrator's
Wofford College is a small liberal arts institution that is Methodist affiliated. Its 80-acre, 30-building complex has grown from the original campus of 35 acres containing the Main Building and five faculty residences. The college was opened in 1854 through the $100,000 bequest of a local minister, Reverend Benjamin Wofford. The historic district consists of the main building and six Georgian derived houses. The Wofford Main Building was designed by the Charleston architect Edward C. Jones in the Italian Villa style that had been popularized nationally by Alexander Jackson Davis. It is a three-story stucco structure with square giant order columns supporting a massive portico framed by twin towers. Large side wings abut the central section. The six two-story brick residences have wide central halls flanked by rooms to either side. They are in a vernacular style that was popular for southern homes. Four of the buildings date to 1854. All have one-story front verandas. Listed in the National Register December 27, 1974.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Wofford College Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.