|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
McMakin's Tavern, Spartanburg County (S.C. Hwy. 358, Lyman vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique|| Veranda
(Morgan-Stewart House) McMakin’s Tavern, constructed over a three-year period ca. 1790, was a stagecoach stop throughout the early nineteenth century, as well as the center of a large plantation. An upcountry farmhouse, it is basically a two-storied clapboard single house with gable end chimneys. Although the exterior is rather simple, the interior displays elaborately carved woodwork in the Adam style. The paneled doors have raised shields and intricately carved entablatures; a portion of the stylized decoration is repeated in the paneled wainscoting and in the elaborate mantels and over-mantels. The mantel and cornice molding in the south parlor employ a shell motif, while that in the north room has a fan motif. The house was constructed by artisans who trained slaves to carve the wood, which had been soaked to make it extremely hard and durable. The one-story veranda that extends beyond the ends of the house and is supported by square columns above a solid railing was added ca. 1910. The plantation originally contained over 2000 acres of fertile farmland. There was once a complement of outbuildings around the house that included a forge, store, gristmill, cobbler’s ship, weaving house, and wheelwright’s shop. Listed in the National Register October 9, 1974.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.