|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Cleveland Law Range, Spartanburg County (171 Magnolia St., Spartanburg)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Left Rear Oblique|
The Cleveland Law Range is one of the few remaining examples of Richardson Romanesque architecture in the South. Examples of the style were rare to begin with as Richardson’s period of greatest influence came when the South had very little money to spare for high style architecture. It is an imposing three-story brick building with attic built 1898-99 as an office building. The design pattern is established with the use of five arched bays on the ground floor of the front elevation with rhythmic fenestration repeating the bay arrangement on the second and third floors. All three gables have a Dutch gable treatment and incorporate chimneys into the design. The building has been used as offices for men of both national and statewide significance. Three governors of South Carolina maintained offices in the Cleveland Law Range. The most famous occupant was James F. Byrnes who served as member of Congress, U. S. Senator from South Carolina, Secretary of State under President Harry S. Truman, Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court, Director of War Mobilization and Reconversion under Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Governor of South Carolina. Listed in the National Register April 13, 1973.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.