South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Nicholls-Crook House, Spartanburg County (off U.S. Hwy. 211, Woodruff vicinity)
S1081774200701 S1081774200702 S1081774200703 S1081774200704 S1081774200705
Facade Right Elevation Right Rear
Left Eleation Inteiror

This two-story brick house was constructed ca. 1800 by Jesse Crook, a Spartanburg County planter. Elements of 18th century architecture are evident in the style of the house and as such they are significant for their early appearance in Upcountry South Carolina plantation residence design. The house shows influence of Virginia architecture, particularly the Flemish bond brickwork, the chamfered brickwork of the chimneys, the Georgian symmetry in the three-bay fašade, the segmental arches over windows and doorways, the wide windows of the front and rear facades, and the joined chimneys of the eastern fašade. The Virginia architectural influence can be traced to the fact that James Crook, father of the builder, was born in Mecklenburg County, Virginia in 1746 and moved to the Spartanburg District just prior to the Revolution. Wooden additions were added in the nineteenth century, but have since been removed or deteriorated. The interior includes large fireplaces and an original hand-carved mantel. The full basement, which was used as domestic slave quarters, has an earthen floor and large fireplace. Listed in the National Register March 20, 1973.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.