|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Whitehall, Saluda County (Etheridge Rd., Saluda)
|Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Right and Rear Elevation||Left Elevation|
Whitehall, believed to have been built ca. 1893 for Alvin Etheredge, is exemplary of the Classical Revival style. The frame building is a two-story rectangular block with additions attached to the west and south elevations. Both the fašade (north) and east elevation are dominated by tetrastyle, two-story porticos with columns of the Corinthian order. The columns support a full entablature featuring an architrave with multiple fascias, a plain frieze, and a bracketed cornice with dentils and modillions. Above is a parapet with small paneled pedestals. Each elevation is set on brick piers which were later infilled with brick latticework. Within the nominated acreage are eleven outbuildings, including a barn, dairy, washhouse, greenhouse, and a blacksmith/chemistry shop. Whitehall is also historically significant as the home of several individuals prominent in the history of the town and county of Saluda. Alvin Etheredge was a prominent businessman, farmer, and civic leader in the Saluda area. Operator of a lumber business, he also managed a cotton plantation which employed twenty tenant families. He was the primary force behind the formation of Saluda County in 1895. After Etheredge’s death in 1920, Whitehall eventually passed to his son, Rodney Hammond Etheredge. Educated as a lawyer, R.H. Etheredge was also a surveyor and owner and operator of a brickmill, a lumberyard, several farms, a cotton gin and, later in his life, a dairy farm. He served three nonconsecutive terms in the SC House of Representatives. Listed in the National Register August 21, 1980.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.