|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Webb-Coleman House, Saluda County (S.C. Hwy. 39, Chappells vicinity)
|Main House, Facade||Main House, Left Oblique||Main House, Right Oblique||Main House, Left Rear Oblique||Main House, Right Rear Oblique|
|Main House, Front Porch||Main House, Main Entrance||Main House, Interior Fireplace Mantel||Main House, Interior Fireplace Mantel||Main House, Central Hall Doorway|
|Main House, Stairway||Main House, Attic||Cotton Wharehouse||Tenant House||Main House, Floor Plan|
The Webb-Coleman House (Christian’s Post Office) is an excellent intact example of an upcountry Federal farmhouse built in the period 1800-1825. It is also associated with the Webb and Coleman families of Edgefield County (after 1895 Saluda County), families which occupied the house and farmed the property for over one hundred and twenty years. The house is a two-and-one-half-story, five-bay, gable-roofed, frame and weatherboard Federal farmhouse. In the mid-nineteenth century, a one-story, full-length, shed-roofed, frame and weatherboard wing was added. In 1915, a one-story, gable-roofed, frame and weatherboard ell was added. At this time, a full-length, shed-roofed porch was attached to the north elevation of the ell. Further renovation in 1934 included the addition of a bathroom, rebuilding the chimneys, and altering the front door. There are four contributing outbuildings associated with this property. A mid-to late-nineteenth century cotton house, an early twentieth century garage, an early 1930s dollhouse, and an early twentieth century tenant house. The house operated as a post office from 1833-1844. Listed in the National Register April 24, 1992.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.