|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Saluda Theatre, Saluda County (107 Law Range Rd., Saluda)
|Facade, 1944||Facade, 1987||Renovated Facade||Marquee||Left Oblique|
|Right Oblique||Right Rear Oblique||Ticket Booth|
Designed by Charles B. Thompson, the Saluda Theatre is a two-story, stuccoed masonry building constructed in 1936 as a cinema. The Saluda is significant as an unusually intact example of a small town theatre in the Art Deco style and for its role as a focal point for entertainment in the community during the 1930s and 1940s. The theatre reflects a period of motion picture theatre construction that swept the country in the 1920s and 1930s. Like most other movie theatres constructed during the second decade of the period, the building was influenced by the Art Deco style. The crisp, simple lines of the fašade and the geometric designs of the interior wall finishes and lighting fixtures reveal the influence of the Art Deco style. The theatre is prominently sited in downtown Saluda across the street from the courthouse square. It was open for forty-five years, closing in 1981. Listed in the National Register December 13, 1993.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.