|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Old Strother Place, Saluda County (Fruit Hill Rd., Saluda vicinity)
|Left Oblique||Right Elevation|| Portico,
|Left Elevation||Rear Elevation|
|Right-Rear Elevation||Water Tower||Garage||Barn||Chicken Coop|
The Old Strother Place (Fruit Hill) is significant architecturally as a notable example of Greek Revival farmhouse architecture. Built ca. 1856 by George James Strother, this was the “new” house on the plantation. The extant barn and kitchen building were constructed at the same time, according to family tradition. A ca. 1930 garage and ca. 1936 water tower also contribute to the property. The Old Strother Place was one of the largest plantation houses in the area and the first in the vicinity to receive electricity and running water, in ca. 1936. The house is a mixture of high style and practical, plain elements. The house originally had one-story, full fašade, shed roofed porches on both front and rear elevations. The porch on the rear elevation was enclosed in the twentieth century. The Strother plantation was by far one of the largest in the vicinity. In 1850, Strother owned twenty-seven slaves; in 1860 this had increased to forty-three slaves. Strother had eight slave houses on his plantation; the location of the slave houses in unknown. Listed in the National Register February 25, 1994.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.