|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Saluda Old Town Site, Saluda County (Address Restricted)
|No Photo Available|
This is an important site with a background of several significant occupations extending from prehistoric to historic times. Archaic projectile points have been recovered indicating an early occupation of 5,000 to 2,000 years ago. Pottery collected from the mound and from the pasture has included cord-marked and complicated stamped pottery indicating middle to late prehistoric occupations. The predominant complicated stamped pottery indicates a large village of the Temple Mound Period of 1,000 to 400 years ago, centering on the low mound that remains and probably having a large open plaza surrounded by dwelling houses to the north and west of the mound. Historic records refer to this as the site of a town of the Saluda Indians of the late seventeenth and early eighteenth century and as having been abandoned by 1712 when the Saludas moved north. Historic records also indicate this to be the site at which, on July 2, 1755, the Cherokee Chief Conocartee (Old Hop) signed a treaty with South Carolina Governor Glen. The treaty recognized the sovereignty of the King of England over all Cherokee lands in South Carolina, 360,000 square miles. This later became the Ninety-Six District. Listed in the National Register June 28, 1972.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.