South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Marsh-Johnson House, Saluda County (Intersection of S.C. Sec. Rds. 21 & 37)

MarshJohnson01 MarshJohnson02 MarshJohnson03 MarshJohnson04 MarshJohnson05
Facade Right Elevation Left Oblique Left Elevation,
Chimney Detail
Rear Elevation

The Marsh-Johnson House (Robert Johnson House) is a two-story farmhouse of log construction sheathed in weatherboard. The house is believed to have been built before 1817. The Marsh-Johnson House embodies construction technology and design characteristics of the rural South Carolina upcountry of the early nineteenth century. It is one of the earliest and intact log residences that has been identified in the state. The house rests on massive brick piers, which are laid in Flemish bond. A one-story, shed-roofed porch with wooden foundation piers and four rough hewn tree trunks supporting the roof spans the fašade. Many of the windows retain their batten shutters. The central hall farmhouse was common in South Carolina from the colonial settlements until the early twentieth century. Log buildings in South Carolina were common into the mid-nineteenth century, especially in areas where there were substantial stands of large timber. Flemish bond brickwork and glazed headers, found here in the double-shouldered chimney, were in use in South Carolina from the eighteenth century into the early years of the nineteenth century. Listed in the National Register June 17, 1982.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.