|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Bonham House, Saluda County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 328, Saluda vicinity)
|Facade||Facade||Right Elevation||Left Elevation||Interior, Fireplace|
|Interior, Central Hall Stair|
The Bonham House (Flat Grove), ca. 1780, can be classified in a style of American folk architecture known as the “dogtrot,” a design that evolved from two equal units separated by a broad, open, central hall, that was usually later enclosed. The Bonham House is somewhat unusual in that it is two-storied, the second level originally accessible by a small stairway in the right front room. It is constructed of logs on fieldstone pillars; roof and floor joists are small bark covered logs. The house, also known as Flat Grove, was owned by Sophie Smith Bonham whose husband, James Bonham of Maryland, fought in the Revolution. It is believed they lived in the house when a son, James Butler Bonham, was born. He died at the Alamo. A younger son, Milledge L. Bonham was the next owner. He served in the South Carolina State Legislature, the United States House of Representatives, and was a general in the Civil War. During the war he was elected governor of South Carolina and served until 1864. Listed in the National Register December 30, 1974.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.