|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Columbia High School, Richland County (1323 Washington St., Columbia)
The Columbia High School was constructed in 1915 according to the design of Urquhart and Johnson, Architects of Columbia. Designed in what the architects described as “Collegiate Italian Renaissance” style, the building was a three-story brick structure, surmounted by an ornamental stone balustrade. A deep belt of stone extended around the base of the building and a stone stringcourse delineated the division between the first and second floors. Another stringcourse of stone with ornamental garlands combined with a brick blind arcade to highlight the third story. The front fašade was broken in to five bays, with the central and two ends bays projecting slightly. The main entrance was located in an arcaded recessed gallery located on the second floor of the front fašade and was accessed by two flights of granite steps. Columbia High School was significant due its link with education in Columbia, situated on the site of the Columbia Female Academy, an educational institution founded in the 1820s. The school served the public educational needs of downtown Columbia until it’s closing in 1976 and for many years was the only major public high school in downtown Columbia. Listed in the National Register in 1980. It has since been demolished and removed from the National Register.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.