South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Columbia Electric Street Railway, Light and Power Substation
Richland County (1337 Assembly St., Columbia)
S1081774015101 S1081774015102 S1081774015103 S1081774015104 S1081774015105
Facade Main Entrance
Left Elevation Right Elevation Rear Elevation
S1081774015106 S1081774015107 S1081774015108 S1081774015109 S1081774015110
Cornice and
Coping Detail
Corner Detail
Without Cornice
and Coping
Window Detail Terra-Cotta
Archivolt Detail
Cornice, Coping
and Corbeling
S1081774015111 S1081774015112 S1081774015113 S1081774015114 S1081774015115
Roof Detail Interior
Main Entrance
Drop Ceiling Detail
Window Hardware
Timber Floor
Joist with
Steel Beam Support
S1081774015116 S1081774015117 S1081774015118    
Basement Timber
Brick Piers

The Columbia Electric Street Railway, Light & Power Company Substation, constructed in 1900 with later additions and alterations, is architecturally significant for its distinctive Italian Renaissance Revival characteristics and historically significant for its direct association with Columbia’s street railway or trolley system. The building was designed by W. B. Smith Whaley, an architect well-known for his cotton mills throughout the American southeast. The substation, like many of Whaley’s designs, is typically Italian Renaissance Revival in many of its defining features. The primary construction material is monochromatic red brick, laid in common or American bond pattern. The primary architectural element is the arcade of rounded compound arches or archivolts springing from broad piers. The massing is heavy, solid, and imposing. This weightiness is further emphasized by the flat roof and the recessed window and door openings. The substation was renovated in 1912 to meet the growing needs of the burgeoning trolley system - the electrical equipment was upgraded, three bays were added to the west end of the building, a second story was added within the volume of the building, the original office space was removed, and the tile floor was replaced with reinforced concrete throughout the building. A monitor roof was also installed (though removed at a later date), and the cornice on the west elevation was removed and reused on the extended north elevation. From its construction in 1900 until 1936, when the trolley system permanently discontinued service, the building served as a power substation (and briefly as the general offices) for the Columbia Electric Street Railway, Light & Power Company and its successors. The trolley system operated by this company and powered by the substation played an integral part in the creation, growth, and subsequent annexation of Columbia’s suburbs during the early twentieth century. These developments are illustrative of the broad pattern of trolley-based public transportation and suburban expansion of many American cities in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Listed in the National Register February 4, 2011.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.