|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Columbia Central Fire Station, Richland County (1001 Senate St., Columbia)
|South Elevation||Southwest Oblique||East Elevation||North Elevation||North Elevation|
|Garage|| Drill Tower
| Drill Tower
The Columbia Central Fire Station, constructed between 1949 and 1951, is significant as an excellent example of Moderne architecture of the early 1950s and for its association with noted South Carolina architect Heyward S. Singley. Singley designed several fire stations in Columbia between 1940 and 1954. The Columbia Central Fire Station is not only the largest but also the most architecturally distinctive of Singley’s designs. A fine example of the Moderne/International style, with its relative lack of ornamentation, flat roof, and horizontal bands of windows, the Columbia Central Fire Station consists of two buildings and a structure. The main building, a two-story masonry fire station with a rectangular plan, and the fire truck garage building, a one-story masonry building located in the northeast corner of the property, were constructed in 1949-50. The drill tower, a six-story reinforced concrete structure located near the northwest corner of the site, was constructed in 1951. The Central Fire Station served as the Columbia Fire Department’s Headquarters from 1950 until 1995, when it was abandoned for a new facility. Listed in the National Register September 25, 2009.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.