South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Forest Hills Historic District, Richland County (Columbia)
S1081774013901 S1081774013902 S1081774013903 S1081774013904 S1081774013905
Heyward Singley House
2555 Gervais St.
Heyward Singley House
2555 Gervais St.
John W. Rucker House
1401 Cambridge Lane
Van D. Lott House
1410 Cambridge Lane
Deems Haltiwanger
1411 Westminster Dr.
S1081774013906 S1081774013907 S1081774013908 S1081774013909 S1081774013910
Benjamin Abney
1400 Westminster Dr.
John W. Lillard House
1318 Westminster Dr.
Cosmo L. Walker
1307 Devonshire Dr.
Ernest Graham House
1419 Devonshire Dr.
John S. Linton House
1314 Wellington Dr.
S1081774013911 S1081774013912 S1081774013913 S1081774013914 S1081774013915
Joseph L. Nettles House
1218 Wellington Dr.
1205 Glenwood Rd. 2917 Delano Dr. Robert Robinson
2900 Delano Dr.
2905 Stratford Rd.
S1081774013916 S1081774013917 S1081774013918 S1081774013919 S1081774013920
Hamilton Osborne
2859 Stratford Rd.
2858 Stratford Rd. 2704 Stratford Rd. Robert S. Lafaye
2630 Stratford Rd.
John A. Manning
2626 Stratford Rd.
S1081774013921 S1081774013922 S1081774013923 S1081774013924 S1081774013925
Rollie A. Hufstettler
2600 Stratford Rd.
O. Stanley Smith
2525 Stratford Rd.
Robert Fennell House
2508 Windsor Rd.
Kemble Oliver House
2717 Canterbury Rd.
Norman L. George
2718 Canterbury Rd.

Page 1 of 2 Next

The Forest Hills Historic District is significant as an excellent example of early twentieth-century planned suburban residential development. Forest Hills reflects suburban development trends dating back to “the era’s most notable experiment in planned suburban development,” Forest Hills Gardens on Long Island designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr. in 1909. The interstices of the City Beautiful Movement and the new vision of the Arts and Crafts Movement inspired efforts across the country to provide beautiful housing in a natural, park-like setting free from the ugliness, congestion, and unsanitary conditions of urban living. This was the vision pursued by developer Joseph Walker and landscape architect Harlan Kelsey in the first phase of Forest Hills’ development. Later phases of development followed the more traditional urban grid pattern that had well-established precedents in other early Columbia suburbs. Forest Hills is also significant for its association with a person of local importance. Joseph Walker, a Columbia cotton merchant and developer, acquired and developed the approximately 100 acres formerly known as Abney Park into Forest Hills. His vision for the land he acquired in 1925 is still evident today. And finally, Forest Hills is significant as an excellent example of trends in residential planning and architecture for the first half of the twentieth century as well as representing the work of masters in planning and architecture. The district contains 215 residences, a designed landscape with 9 “little parks,” and a historic monument dedicated to Wade Hampton, III that contribute to the historic character of the district. Thirty residences are non-contributing. The historic resources of the district date from 1903 to 1957. One residence predates the development of Forest Hills. All others properties were constructed after 1927. The district features excellent examples of Tudor Revival, Colonial Revival, Neoclassical Revival, Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival, French Renaissance, Craftsman/Bungalow, Western Stick, International, Monterey, minimal traditional houses, and homes with an Art Deco influence. Listed in the National Register September 28, 2007.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Forest Hills Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.