South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Woodlands, Richland County (409 Old Woodlands Rd., Columbia)
S1081774013701 S1081774013702 S1081774013703 S1081774013704 S1081774013705
Left Oblique Main Entrance Right Oblique Right Rear
Left Rear
S1081774013706 S1081774013707 S1081774013708 S1081774013709 S1081774013710
Porch Detail French Door
Central Hall and
Main Entrance
Central Hall
Parlor Fireplace

Woodlands is historically significant for its association with the Hampton family, in particular Harry R.E. Hampton (1897-1980), a leading journalist and conservationist in the state; it is architecturally significant as an outstanding and well-preserved example of Folk Victorian domestic architecture. Woodlands is a cross-gable roofed, two-story farmhouse built in 1896 by Frank Hampton, Jr. (1856-1926), the great-grandson of Wade Hampton I, who at the time of his death in 1835 was one of the wealthiest men in the country. The house was a gift to Frank Hampton’s new bride Gertrude Ruffini Elliott Gonzales. Gertrude was the sister of N.G., Ambrose E., and William E. Gonzales, who in 1891 founded The State, South Carolina’s largest and most influential newspaper. After the death of Frank Hampton, Jr. in 1926, Woodlands fell to his second son, Harry R.E. Hampton, who lived at Woodlands until his death in 1980. Harry Hampton held several positions within the family newspaper, and was a strong advocate for environmental issues. He was a pioneer in advocating the protection of natural resources against development and pollution. The wood frame house features both classical and Victorian ornamentation. The most prominent architectural features that make Woodlands distinctive-the grand two-tiered porch, large double-hung sash windows, and decorative interior woodwork-all remain particularly intact. The historic detached kitchen (1896) is situated in its original location to the rear of the house. Listed in the National Register February 1, 2006.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.