|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
South Carolina State Armory, Richland County (1219 Assembly St., Columbia)
|Facade||Window Detail||Left Oblique||Rear Elevation||Window Detail|
The South Carolina State Armory is significant in the development of the National Guard in South Carolina. The Armory also exemplifies a new architectural style that arose with the federalization of the National Guard. South Carolina’s armory was one of the first armories to break away from the medieval crenellated model and provided a new solution which embodied the new spirit and attitudes of the National Guard. Built in 1905 according to plans by the Columbia architectural firm, Edwards & Walter, the Armory served as headquarters for the 118th Infantry and medical detachment. The building also housed the 263rd Coast Artillery. The building was used from the time of its construction until 1964 when the South Carolina National Guard moved into a new building. It is a three-story brick commercial block style building with a main fašade divided into three vertical bays. The fašade is made of red brick in a seven-to-one American bond pattern variation which features on every eight row alternating headers and stretchers. The remaining three facades are of red brick in a running bond pattern. Listed in the National Register February 5, 1999.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.