|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Curtis-Wright Hanger, Richland County (1400 Jim Hamilton Blvd., Columbia)
|Facade||Right Elevation||Right Rear Oblique|| Interior
(Owens Field Municipal Airport Hangar) The Curtis-Wright Hangar, the first building erected at Owens Field in 1929, represents the contributions of air transportation to the city of Columbia and the state of South Carolina. The hangar grew and changed along with the airport and aviation history. It was first used to house airplanes for passenger and airmail services, then became the headquarters of the South Carolina Aeronautics Commission, later was used as space for the civilian flight training program, and finally was used for general aircraft maintenance. During the 1930s, Owens Field had the distinction of hosting many well-known aviators and personalities, including Amelia Earhart and President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. The Curtiss-Wright Hangar is a running bond gray brick structure with a metal-clad barrel roof and is similar in style to other airport hangars built in the twenties. The hangar has a main open storage area for airplanes, which is flanked on either side by flat-roofed wings. The central storage area is about two stories in height, and has a clearance of approximately twenty feet beneath the steel roof girders. Listed in the National Register April 30, 1998.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.