|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Bellevue Historic District, Richland County (Columbia)
|1216 Anthony St.||1228 Confederate Ave.||1306 Confederate Ave.||1307 Confederate Ave.||1309 Confederate Ave.|
|1327 Confederate Ave.||1331 Confederate Ave.||1401 Confederate Ave.||1402 Confederate Ave.||1403 Confederate Ave.|
|1410 Confederate Ave.||1412 Confederate Ave.||1300 Geiger Ave.||1400 Geiger Ave.||1401 Geiger Ave.|
|1411 Geiger Ave.||1415 Geiger Ave.||2203 Marion St.||2207 Marion St.||2211 Marion St.|
|Page 1 of 2|
The Bellevue Historic District is significant for its high concentration of intact examples of early twentieth-century residential architecture placed among intact historic streetscapes. The district is a collection of 233 residential properties, 177 of which are contributing properties. The properties date from the early twentieth century to 1945. Bellevue is an intact example of one of the earliest planned suburban residential neighborhoods in Columbia whose appearance has been largely unaltered by the passage of time. As one of the earliest suburban areas annexed into the city of Columbia, Bellevue played an important role in the early expansion of the capital city beyond its original northern boundary. Today, Bellevue is commonly known as “Cottontown,” named for the cotton storage warehouses that once operated in the area. The neighborhood sits on land once owned by the Wallace family, who, in ca. 1893, sold to the state property which is now the S.C. State Hospital campus. Although several early twentieth-century house types are present, including Tudor Revival and Colonial Revival, the Craftsman/Bungalow is the most prevalent type. In general, the homes retain their historic appearance and architectural integrity. The neighborhood’s streetscapes are also largely unaltered. Listed in the National Register September 30, 1997.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Bellevue Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.