|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
McMaster School, Richland County (1106 Pickens St., Columbia)
|Facade||Main Entrance||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation|| ca. 1950
|Cornice Detail|| Interior
McMaster School is associated with the campaign for educational reform that swept through the state in the first quarter of the twentieth century. Architecturally, it is an example of the style of school architecture that was developed as a direct result of this campaign. The style is a result of the standardized plans created by the architecture firm of Edwards and Walter in 1905, and can be characterized as an early twentieth century revival style. The school was opened in 1911. It served the city of Columbia as a grammar school in Richland County School District One from 1911 to 1956. The structure was sold in 1960 to the University of South Carolina for $168,800. At this time, it was renamed McMaster College. The building is of frame construction with a brick veneer, wood trim, and cast stone detailing. The brick veneer employs a Flemish stretcher bond, with belt courses on the first story, blind panels between the second and third stories, brick pilasters, quoins, and gauged arches with keystones above the windows. The roofline of McMaster has castellated parapets, hiding a flat roof. There is a decorative cornice at the roofline supported by fluted wooden brackets and adorned with dentils. There have been two additions, the first of which (ca. 1950) incorporates many of the architectural details of the original building. The school was named for Colonel F.W. McMaster, first chairman of the Board of School Commissioners and mayor of Columbia. Listed in the National Register July 25, 1997.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.