|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Cook's Lake Cattle Mount, Richland County (Address Restricted)
|Cook's Lake Cattle Mount|
Cook’s Lake Cattle Mount is significant for its association with the agricultural settlement of the Congaree Swamp and for its ability to yield information about settlement patterns in the region. Free-ranging livestock provided a significant source of food and income prior to the Civil War in the South Carolina backcountry. Settlers in the Congaree Swamp constructed cattle mounds to provide a place of refuge for hogs, cattle, and other grazing animals during the flood season. Farmers constructed many of the earthen structures in the swamp using slave labor. The original owner is not known. Cook’s Lake Cattle Mount is a 3-foot-high-by-165-foot-circumference, oval-shaped earthen mound. The top of the mound is flat and covered with hardwood trees and other vegetation and the sides have an approximately 45 degree slope. Listed in the National Register November 25, 1996.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Agricultural Resources of Congaree Swamp National Monument, 1740-1900 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.