South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Granby Mill Village Historic District, Richland County (Columbia)
S1081774010101 S1081774010102 S1081774010103 S1081774010104 S1081774010105
Granby Mill
Left Oblique
Granby Mill
Right Oblique
Granby Mill
Right Tower
Granby Mill
Gatehouse
Granby Mill
Office Building
S1081774010106 S1081774010107 S1081774010108 S1081774010109 S1081774010110
Whaley Street
Methodist Church
Whaley Street
Methodist Church
Office Building
204-206
Williams St.
99 Huger St. 301-303 Whaley St.
S1081774010111 S1081774010112      
231 Whaley St. Supervisor's
Residence

The Granby Mill and adjacent Granby Mill Village were designed, built and managed by the prominent textile mill designer W. B. Smith Whaley whose firm was one of the Southeast’s most prolific and innovative. Granby, initially constructed in 1896-1897, was the second Columbia mill built by Whaley, the first being the Richland Mill built in 1894-1895. Granby represented Whaley’s first major technological improvement in mill design, being the first cotton mill in the state to be powered by a “remote,” off-site source of hydroelectric power. The mill is a large rectangular shaped, flat roofed, Romanesque Revival style four-story brick building having uniform fenestration with buttresses inserted at regular intervals and two projecting five-story entrance towers on the front fašade. The Granby Mill Village depicts one of the best preserved turn-of-the-century mill villages found in the state with some 112 of the 121 originally built dwellings remaining with most retaining a high degree of physical integrity. The Granby Mill Village is architecturally noteworthy because its predominant “saltbox” operative dwelling design based on New England antecedents truly reflects Whaley’s training and experience during his formative years in the Northeast. The Granby Village’s physical neatness, cohesive character, and predominant “saltbox” design present a distinctive and striking visual impact characteristic of the translation of the traditional New England mill village design to a late nineteenth century Southern setting. The village presently consists of the main mill building, the mill gatehouse, the ca. 1902 two-story mill office building, commercial buildings, a Gothic Revival church and operatives’ houses. Listed in the National Register September 20, 1993.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Granby Mill Village Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Textile Mills in South Carolina Designed by W. B. Smith Whaley includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.