|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Elmwood Park Historic District, Richland County (Columbia)
|2219 Gadsden St.||2225 Gadsden St.||2300 Gadsden St.||2303 Gadsden St.||2321 Gadsden St.|
|2323 Gadsden St.||819 Aiken St.||913 Aiken St.||2201 Lincoln St.||2209 Lincoln St.|
|2210 Lincoln St.||2224 Lincoln St.|| 2225-2225 1/2
|2230 Lincoln St.||2301 Lincoln St.|
|2305 Lincoln St.||2307 Lincoln St.||2311 Lincoln St.||2312 Lincoln St.||2315 Lincoln St.|
|Page 1 of 3|
Elmwood Park Historic District is a turn-of-the-century suburb developed at a time of major suburban growth in the Columbia area. The district is a collection of 279 primarily residential properties, 219 of which are considered contributing. The district’s resources date from the turn of the twentieth century to 1940. Elmwood Park’s southern boundary, Elmwood Avenue, was the northern border of the city of Columbia. There had been scattered settlement in the area since at least 1872, but no planned suburban growth until 1891 when the first part of the neighborhood was platted on land off Main Street. The bulk of what would become Elmwood Park was used as a fairgrounds until 1903. The area developed rapidly as land became available. Many of the houses in the suburb typify the trend in architecture away from elaborate styles and toward “the comfortable house.” Styles range from the numerous Queen Anne, Four-Square, and gable-front houses, to a few Colonial Revival houses. One-story structures are predominantly Craftsman influenced. Brick bungalows are evident as infill from the 1920s and 1930s. There are also a number of shotgun houses in the earliest developed part of the neighborhood. Two neighborhood schools in the district are typical of school design of the day, being monumental in scale. Logan School is the work of well-known local architect, J. Carroll Johnson, chief draftsman for Wilson & Sompayrac. James Burwell Urquhart, another prominent Columbia architect, designed Wardlaw Junior High School. As a nearly intact suburb, Elmwood Park illustrates the shift in Columbia, and nationwide, to the suburbs. Listed in the National Register May 3, 1991; Boundary increase May 13, 2002.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Elmwood Park Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
View the complete text of the nomination form for the boundary increase of this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.