|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Saint Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Richland County (1529 Assembly St., Columbia)
|Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Right Elevation|| Right Rear
|Steeple Detail|| Interior
Built in 1906, St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church is primarily significant as an excellent example of Gothic Revival church architecture designed by a major regional architect. St. Peter’s is also significant as one of the most important Catholic churches in South Carolina, established in 1821 and considered the “mother church” of many congregations in South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia. It was designed by Frank Pierce Milburn, one of the most significant and prolific architects working in the South from the 1880s to the 1920s. Milburn, a Kentucky native, practiced throughout the Southeast, most notably in North and South Carolina. His work includes several railroad stations, several buildings at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and extensive enlargements of the South Carolina State House and the Florida State Capitol. Other notable Milburn buildings in Columbia include Union Station, the South Carolina State Dispensary Office Building, and the Columbia City Hall and Opera House (demolished). The church is constructed of locally selected dark red brick, trimmed with Bedford stone and dull glazed white terra cotta. The roof is Buckingham slate while the main doors are of cathedral oak. A cemetery dating from ca. 1840 is at the rear of the church. Listed in the National Register September 28, 1989.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.