|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hopkins Presbyterian Church, Richland County (near jct. of S.C. Sec. Rds. 66 & 86, Hopkins)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation||Window Detail|
(Hopkins Methodist Church) Hopkins Presbyterian is significant as an unusually intact example of a small nineteenth century, rural church. Distinctive architectural features of the building include the round-arched entrance, the imbricated and squared shingles in the gable ends, and the tripartite window on the rear. The building was built ca. 1891 for the Hopkins Methodist Church, but the congregation lapsed, and in 1919 the building was purchased by the Hopkins Presbyterian Church. The congregation began in the late nineteenth century as a small group which met in a nearby school building. A student from the Columbia Presbyterian Seminary preached to the group two Sundays a month. This continued until 1916 when Hopkins Presbyterian Church was formally organized. The congregation was small; there were fifteen charter members. By 1937 there were 41 members, but in 1955 the membership had grown so small that services were discontinued. Today the church and cemetery are maintained by the Hopkins Presbyterian Cemetery Association. The church is a small, one-story frame building. The interior includes the small vestibule and a modest sanctuary with beaded-board walls and ceiling. Surviving original furnishings include wooden pews, pulpit chairs, a lectern, a communion table, and a pump organ. The large church lot contains a cemetery. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lower Richland County, ca. 1795-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.