|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hopkins Graded School, Richland County (jct. of S.C. Sec. Rds. 37 & 1412, Hopkins)
|Facade||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation|
(Old Hopkins School) Hopkins Graded School is significant as an intact small, rural, late nineteenth century school, a rapidly disappearing building type. In addition, the school is significant in the history of education in the Hopkins community in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. According to local tradition, the Hopkins Graded School was constructed ca. 1897 as a one-teacher school serving the white children of the area. Because of a growing enrollment, before 1914 a new two-story school was built across the road. After that the Hopkins Graded School building was used as a teacherage with the principal and his family being the first occupants. The school is a rambling, one-story building that has a L-shaped, frame core with weatherboard siding and a gable roof. A cross-gabled block is on the east end of the building, and three small cross-gabled entrance vestibules are on the east, south, and west elevations. A small square belfry with a pyramidal roof is located on the roof ridge at the east end of the L, and two brick chimneys pierce the ridge of the north wing of the L. The roof has purlins and rafter tails extended to carry deep eaves; roofing is modern sheet metal. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lower Richland County, ca. 1795-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.